Support the President's Council on Wellness on #MaryWashDay!
In 2017, President Paino assembled the President’s Council on Wellness (PCOW), a team focused on promoting all areas of wellness to UMW students, staff, and faculty. The general committee is divided into four subcommittees which are:
Programming and Education: This committee will plan and deliver programs once a month for students and faculty. The committee will be divided into faculty/staff and student programming and will create programs for both groups. They will also provide education to the Council during the first 15 minutes of every meeting.
Marketing: This committee will be responsible for updating and posting in Eagle Eye, creating content and posting on social media, updating the website, and creating and distributing the Wash Posts. This committee will be led by the Secretary of the Council.
Grant and Fundraising: This committee will set up university accounts, find and apply for grants, and initiate fundraising and sponsorships. They will also be responsible for Giving Day initiatives. This committee will be led by the Treasurer of the Council.
Research and Development: This committee will review policies and procedures on campus to see where issues need to be addressed and where changes can be made. They will also collect benchmarking data and analyze survey data to assess how UMW can improve wellness initiatives.
Research has shown that one’s ability to thrive as an employee, student, or as an organization depends on their level of wellness. The UMW President’s Council on Wellness (PCOW) has created a wellness wheel and defined the six dimensions of wellness. The Wellness Wheel helps guide the committee. The six dimensions include:
- Mental Wellness: Combining the elements of emotional well-being and intellectual curiosity, mental wellness includes being attentive to one’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviors; positive or negative. Having the ability to approach life optimistically and with resiliency despite life’s inevitable disappointments. Seeking out ways to expand one’s knowledge and skills.
- Financial Wellness: Striving to live a life within one’s means and taking steps to ensure one’s finances are prepared to support them in both the short and long term.
- Occupational Wellness: Finding purpose and fulfillment in one’s professional journey while working to maintain balance between personal and work-life.
- Physical Wellness: Taking care of one’s body by partaking in healthy practices such as exercise, a nutritious diet, and getting adequate sleep. Acknowledging the importance of one’s physical surroundings and taking an active role in sustaining it.
- Social Wellness: Fostering a sense of connection and belonging with others. Involves using good communication skills, respecting oneself and others, and creating and maintaining a well-developed support system.
- Spiritual Wellness: Taking steps to identify one’s values and beliefs in order to expand one’s sense of purpose and to find meaning in their life. Keeping an open mind and demonstrating tolerance towards others.
- Engage and educate the UMW community through wellness programs and events.
- Enhance preventative and coping resources for mental wellbeing.
- Create a culture where wellness is understood and encouraged.
Help us spread the ‘word on wellness’ and reach our goals!
Follow us on social media for the latest events, updates and announcements from PCOW!