Support the Center for Career and Professional Development on #MaryWashDay!
To all UMW Alumni, Parents, and Community Members,
Great things are happening at the Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD), and you are invited to support all that CCPD is doing to help UMW students and alumni.
Since starting as the Executive Director of the Center for Career and Professional Development in late June, 2019, I have been thoroughly impressed with the level of engagement and dedication of the faculty and staff to building community and connection for all students. This is a great strength of UMW and one that excites students to try new things, explore new ideas, and connect their values, interest, personality and strengths (VIPS) with their future success in today’s world of work.
With your support, I am confident that the CCPD will be successful in its efforts to support the professional and personal development of all UMW students. The coming year will be full of new initiatives and activities, some of which include:
- Moving to a student-centered, collaboration-forward space in Lee Hall that will serve as a one-stop-shop for career exploration, connections, and training
- Redefining the skills students gain from a Liberal Arts Education from “soft skills” to Success Skills
- Building a student employment system that is effective, fair, and serves as a High Impact Practice for students’ professional development
- Expanding services and support for the Pre-Health and Pre-Law advising programs
- Working smarter through increased use of data analysis and assessment
- Teaching resilience, self-compassion, and “Failure Immunity” by using the Design Thinking methodology in the “Liberal Arts and the World of Work” course
- Working with faculty to identify courses that will satisfy the After Mary Washington requirement of the new General Education curriculum
- Creating a UMW Internship Program to break down barriers to experiences faced by students and streamline connections with employers
- Increasing opportunities for alumni connections with students and expanding services to alumni
- Creating a Career Advisor network of faculty to support all they do for students
- Helping students purchase professional clothing through a voucher program in partnership with local retailers
Your donation and support of the Career Center will help excite students about their future through support of career resources, CCPD team training, and specific programs such as the professional clothing voucher program. This will go a long way to preparing students for the great future that awaits them.
Dr. Paul Binkley, EdD, BCC
Center for Career & Professional Development
University of Mary Washington